[REPOST!] Split out e2fsprogs sublibraries

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 12 13:27:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 02:03:14PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
[...]

This bit is just advice ...

> > What remains is to advertize the split on fedora-devel-list and
> > encourage package maintainers to replace:
> >
> >  BuildRequires: e2fsprogs-devel
> >
> > with
> >
> >  BuildRequires: lib<uuid|ss|blkid|com_err>-devel
> >
> > where appropriate.
>
> I have a number of packages that depend on libuuid which will need to
> be updated.

... so hopefully no one will need to change the BR until they are
ready.

> With the auto provides in most rpms I don't think they should need a
> rebuild straight up as they depend on libuuid.so.1 as opposed to a
> specific package name but only going forward so in the short term
> there shouldn't be breakages?

I'm hoping there will be no breakage at all.  But since it's a big
change to an important package that lots of other packages depend on,
one can never tell, so if we're going to do it at all, it should be at
the start of a development cycle (ie. now).

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v