What is the best way to store information cross desktop

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 12 17:06:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 16:56 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:
> > On a side note, is there any FreeDesktop.org effort on standardizing
> > configuration frameworks and / or password stores ?
> >
> > Not necessarily providing the One True Replacement for the Gnome / KDE
> > alternatives, just providing a standard on which those alternatives
> > could be built to work together ?
> >
> > Sorry to kind of hi-jack the thread, I just thought I'd ask out of
> > interest :)
>
> Well, it's not really off topic because it's exactly what's needed to
> actually solve Kushal's problem.
>
> There is a project, see Jaroslav Řezník's reply. Unfortunately, nothing
> usable available yet.

For configuration frameworks, I noticed quite a lot of apps have started
storing configuration data in ~/.config lately, including - on my system
at least - akonadi, totem and gnome-session. But I don't know if that's
something that's actually the focus of an official standardization
effort anywhere, or if it's anything more than just a 'standard' place
to throw freeform configuration files, or what its relationship is to
uniconf / elektra...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey