Bug lifecycle page revised / expanded

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 12 20:23:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 13:30 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi, everyone - just a quick note that, last week, I revised / expanded
> > the bug lifecycle page:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/BugStatusWorkFlow
>
> I have two questions about situations outside the realm of bug triage.
>  Both involve package reviews.
>
> 1. Suppose I submit a package for review, and then later decide that I
> want to withdraw the submission for some reason.  (I had this happen
> recently when legal problems with the package came to light.)  The
> review bug should go to state CLOSED, but with what reason?  WONTFIX?
>
> 2. Suppose I decide to review a package submission.  I assign the
> review bug to myself.  The review turns up some problems that need to
> be fixed.  The person submitting the package doesn't respond for a
> long time.  Now what?  Do I mark the bug NEEDINFO?  What if the
> submitter still doesn't respond?  (I've got several bugs assigned to
> me that are currently in this state.)

Good questions, and I'm not sure of the answers. The package review
process is really a separate workflow that uses Bugzilla for convenience
so it doesn't really involve Bugzappers / QA at all. Bugzappers are
asked to leave package review requests entirely alone. I'll update the
lifecycle page to specify that it applies only to 'conventional' Fedora
bugs.

For 1 I'd suggest NOTABUG, myself. For 2 I suppose, yeah, set it
NEEDINFO, and close as CANTFIX or INSUFFICIENT_DATA if they seem to have
disappeared. But that's just me guessing and carries zero weight, I
don't know who should make an Official Declaration in this case.

Resolutions aren't really super important, so don't get tied up over
them. Don't spend more than a minute thinking "my word! What resolution
should I use?!?!" - if you don't know and the page doesn't make it
clear, just take a guess, no-one's going to die if you get it 'wrong'.
It's just nice to have mostly consistent usage so we can sometimes
derive useful statistics from the resolutions.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey