Who Fedora isn't for (Was: Re: OpenOffice 3.1)

On 05/13/2009 06:34 PM, James Hubbard wrote:

> Until someone steps up and answers Adam's question about Fedora's
> targeted user, this debate will continue.  I've not seen anyone do
> that yet. The section "Is Fedora for me" on the overview page is the
> closest thing that I've seen.  I don't believe that Aunt Flo meets the
> criteria.

No. It doesn't unless someone is willing to sit through and help setup
her system in a controlled manner and willing to upgrade every year
atleast. Let's be clear. Lifecycle is a small part of the equation.
Fedora doesn't deal with proprietary software or patent encumbered
codecs and hence unlikely to be useful on its own for new users without
some assistance.

If we need to be explicit about this on our overview page, I can do that.

Rahul