Re: Who Fedora isn't for (Was: Re: OpenOffice 3.1)

On 05/13/2009 01:25 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 05/13/2009 06:34 PM, James Hubbard wrote:

Until someone steps up and answers Adam's question about Fedora's
targeted user, this debate will continue.  I've not seen anyone do
that yet. The section "Is Fedora for me" on the overview page is the
closest thing that I've seen.  I don't believe that Aunt Flo meets the
criteria.

No. It doesn't unless someone is willing to sit through and help setup
her system in a controlled manner and willing to upgrade every year
atleast. Let's be clear. Lifecycle is a small part of the equation.
Fedora doesn't deal with proprietary software or patent encumbered
codecs and hence unlikely to be useful on its own for new users without
some assistance.

If we need to be explicit about this on our overview page, I can do that.

While your added fix the Download page add all the *DE we have
since you just confirmed that Fedora is not targeted at novice end user
hence it's safe to presume the audience that Fedora is targeted against
has the ability and means to choose...

JBG
begin:vcard
fn:Johann B. Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Taeknigardi;;Dunhagi 5;Reykjavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg hi is
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801