Breaking deps deliberately

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed May 13 13:57:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 07:25:43PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 05/13/2009 07:17 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 03:02:15PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> >> One more reason why we need depchecking before pushing updates.
> >
> > You might want to start by changing the packaging guidelines so that
> > broken dependencies are actually outlawed.  You'll notice that they
> > are not outlawed at the moment.
>
> What do you mean by outlawed? Isn't it common sense that breaking
> dependencies is not allowed?

Not really.

The dependency in any case wasn't "broken", it just wasn't satisfied
by any package in Fedora 10 (although it was by packages in Fedora 11+).

Someone else already mentioned a theoretical case where a package
might depend on libdvdcss, which would have both legal and technical
issues.

If you want to say that the repository shouldn't have broken
dependencies, then it should say so in the packaging guidelines.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/