Breaking deps deliberately

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 13 14:07:29 UTC 2009

> Not really.
>
> The dependency in any case wasn't "broken", it just wasn't satisfied
> by any package in Fedora 10 (although it was by packages in Fedora 11+).

You are dabbling in semantics. If can't do yum install foo, then yes
that means you broke the dependency. It doesn't matter if the dependency
is resolved by pulling in packages from Rawhide since we don't support
that.

> Someone else already mentioned a theoretical case where a package
> might depend on libdvdcss, which would have both legal and technical
> issues.

If a package has a build-time dependency on libdvdcss, it wouldn't be
even allowed in Fedora due to the existing licensing guidelines. If it
is a optional run-time dependency, we don't need to bother about them.
This is a completely separate case.

Rahul