Breaking deps deliberately

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed May 13 14:21:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 14:47 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 03:02:15PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> > One more reason why we need depchecking before pushing updates.
>
> You might want to start by changing the packaging guidelines so that
> broken dependencies are actually outlawed.  You'll notice that they
> are not outlawed at the moment.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Package_update_guidelines

  "These are not intended to be prescriptive rules. Package maintainers
   are expected to to exercise their own common sense and good
   judgement."

There seems to be some consensus that avoiding broken dependencies falls
under "common sense and good judgement".

Cheers,
Mark.