Re: Breaking deps deliberately

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Breaking deps deliberately
From: Colin Walters <walters verbum org>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list redhat com>
Date: 05/13/2009 10:40 AM

Good point, though this one is solvable client-side.  In the current
desktop experience you choose whether to install just security or
everything every time.  We could make that setting default to
persistent, so that people who choose to do only security will have
their yum configuration changed to disable updates-all.

I'm not sure why you think we need entirely separate repos for this kind of action. PackageKit is aware of update levels. Bug fix, security fix, or regular feature update. You could add functionality to PackageKit that allows you default the type of updates you want instead of all updates. Right now you can just manually uncheck the updates you do not want, so if they don't have a red icon next to them. In fact, I think the notification window you get that says "Security Updates only" would get you on your way.