koji breakage for F12 builds

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed May 13 17:37:13 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 13.05.2009, 19:17 +0200 schrieb Nicolas Chauvet:
> 2009/5/13 James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>:
> > [...]
> >> Except that I don't see why those would cause problems during the build,
> >> when they're not even getting installed in the buildroots.
> >>
> >> The problem was/is that libnotify-devel requires a
> >> desktop-notification-daemon (via libnotify itself), and yum will install
> >> both packages that provide it.
> >
> >  How did you come to this conclusion?
> >  I'm not saying it's impossible, but the above seems unlikely unless yum
> > picks one on the virtual provides hit and then it gets an explicit
> > requires on the other (which isn't the same thing).
>
> xfce4-notifyd : 12 characters
> notification-daemon:  19 characters
> Short name wins!

This is only partly true as Seth pointed out on this list just recently
(not sure which topic it was though): IIRC short name wins only applies
if both packages provide *exactly* the same thing, and this shouldn't be
the case here.

> xfce4-notifyd is picked unless something within the
> dependencies is hardcoded to notification-daemon.

There *are* packages explicitly requiring notification-daemon, so this
needs to be rephrased: Why is xfce4-notifyd choosen *although* (!=
"unless") some packages are hardcoding notification-daemon, which
already satisfies all requirements?

Regards,
Christoph