Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu May 14 00:42:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 13:26 +0100, Ilyes Gouta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Obviously one has to set up $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get programs
> running properly. /usr/bin would be populated with scripts that do
> exactly that so that the change is transparent to the user. But that's
> really the implementation part of the idea, let's stick to the concept
> for the moment.. Isn't having one folder per application a nice
> feature? What I'm emphasizing here is separation for more flexibility.

You're almost there. What you really want is something like OSX bundles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundle_%28NEXTSTEP%29

Like say, klik or glick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klik_%28packaging_method%29
http://www.gnome.org/~alexl/glick/

glick is even written by a redhatter.

OMFG glick looks like exactly what I've been looking for. I'm building
glick right now so I can play with it...