Installing multiple versions of software

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu May 14 23:05:09 UTC 2009

On 05/12/2009 04:09 AM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> However, due to some of the issues I've pointed out, I've started not
> using the package
> manager for the main components for the development work I do, because
> of the problem of not
> being able to use the package manager to maintain multiple versions of
> an application
> on a system - something that could be implemented almost trivially, by
> restructuring
> the way packages are installed.

I've found this annoying at times.  I think Debian does a better job of
this, though it's been a while since I've used it.  The flip argument is
that with multiple versions things get more complicated and focus is
taken away from working on the latest version which is definitely one of
Fedora's main goals.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com