emacs: verilog-mode versus dinotrace

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Fri May 15 16:40:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Chitlesh GOORAH
<chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com> wrote:
> Excuse my lack of experience with emacs, does it mean we are already
> shipping 2 _old_ versions of verilog-mode ? Why ?
>
> Jerry, can you update the XEmacs upstream's verilog-mode ? Then the
> fedora packager of xemacs can pull it.

I'll take a look.  It looks like Marcus Harnisch updated the XEmacs
version to upstream revision 463 back in January.  He would probably
have a better chance than I would of not botching a move to revision
502.  Plus, I'd have no idea how to test the result since I am
entirely ignorant of Verilog.

Ugh, it looks like we have some GPLv2 versus GPLv3 issues with that
file.  Let me talk to the other developers about what we can do.

> However it is a bit confusing of shipping verilog-mode twice (now
> thrice with my emacs-verilog-mode package). Can't there be only one
> common verilog-mode or other .el files for both emacs and xemacs ?

No.  The .el files are the source code.  Both editors byte compile
that source code into a .elc file, but their byte codes diverged some
years back.  Some distributions have tried to share code between the
two, with invariably disastrous results for one editor or the other.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/