Sound doesn't work, again!

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sun May 17 18:52:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 12:35 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Ok look at it this way. You mention you have had problems with Sound
> since FC3. Has this been the same hardware? If it has been, then I
> would seriously look at the hardware. A lot of customer sound problems
> I have dealt with ended up being bad speakers, bad cables to speakers,
> bad power supplies to speakers, bad connectors on the back of sound
> card, etc.

Yes, I have looked at that, and it is most definitely not the case.
Besides, since F3 I think I changed at least one computer :)

> Others were sound card drivers, a couple of cards that
> needed new firmware, and a lot of "it says its an XYZ card" but it
> turns out it is a badly implemented XYZ card.

AFAIU, I have a fairly standard sound card:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

> You have also had problems before PulseAudio was involved... so laying
> it at PulseAudio's steps is a bit strong.

Sure, I am not saying the problems in F3 where PA's fault.

>  Did you try setting it up
> without PulseAudio? Did it work fine then for the extended amount of
> time you say (eg 24+hours)? If then, yes its a problem. If no, then we
> need to look at what is really the problem.

This is an experiment which I didn't do, but if you read the bug
reports, it is very unlikely that they originate somewhere else.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.