Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Mon May 18 07:14:44 UTC 2009

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> said:
>> One CD/DVD unit.
>> One hard disk.
>> One screen.
>> One keyboard.
>> One ethernet.
>> One wireless.
>> One user. (!!!)
>
> I've only had an external DVD burner hooked up to my laptop once.  I've
> had external hard drives, an external KVM switch (second screen and
> keyboard), and _two_ additional ethernets (an ExpressCard and a USB)
> connected.  Really though, wireless == ethernet+more config, so almost
> every laptop has multiple ethernets.

I never said that you can't plug things into a laptop, the
focus of my statement was the word "typically".

You can have many ethernets in a laptop (I have), but how many
laptops do firewalling, masquerading, traffic shaping,
load balancing, multihoming, fail over, ....?
As those are highly unusual on a laptop, they receive
less attention than laptop stuff as, e.g., having bluetooth audio.

Server-oriented usage appears to be the least important scenario
for Fedora at the moment; and I admit this can be considered
appropriate if "the users" have laptops, not servers.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it