F12 Naming: Cambridge -> Leonidas -> <New Name>?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon May 18 16:56:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:52:14AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It's that time of year again.  Time to start the naming process
> for the next Fedora release.
>
> To recap on the rules:
>
> 1) <NewName> must have some link to Leonidas
>
> More specifically, the link should be
> 	Leonidas is a <blank> and
> 	<NewName> is a <blank>
> Where <blank> is the same for both
>
> 2) The link between <NewName> and Leonidas cannot be the same as
> between Cambridge and Leonidas.  That link was "was a ship in the Union navy".
>
> We're repeating the collection process we used for Fedora 11 this
> time.  Contributors wishing to make a suggestion are asked to go to
> the F11 naming wiki page, and add an entry to the suggestion table
> found there:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_12
>
> The naming submissions are open starting now until May 23.  The
> rest of the schedule is outlined on the wiki page.
>
> So, put on your thinking caps and come up with some really good
> suggestions!
>
> Happy naming.

Please remember as you add names to make sure there are at least a
few ways to link *out* of the name.  If you find an F12 name that has
something in common with F11, but no other significance, it probably
won't make a good name.

For instance, I see a great name, "Hippocoon," on the list already,
which has no other significance I can find beyond its connection with
F11 (also a Spartan king).  That means we can't easily link *from*
Hippocoon to something else for F13, and this name will likely be cut
from the list.

The Board and I are going to have to go through these names manually,
so we do ask that you give us a hand in advance by thinking through
*each* of your name suggestions carefully, according to all the
guidelines on the wiki page.  Thanks very much for your help!