Package Maintainers Flags policy

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue May 19 12:38:03 UTC 2009

On 05/19/2009 12:39 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I don't much like the reasons that we have to do it -- but I do agree
> that it's best just to stay out of the political debate by not shipping
> _any_ flags.

Will you also stay out of the profanity debate and blacklist all
packages contains any textual occurrence of a profane word ? Or ship
them in a separate "-adult" subpackage ? This is completely ridiculous,
and the fact you are a member of FeSCO is plain scary. This can only be
excused by lack of time and/or interest to think about a better solution.

Worst of all, this "policy" is forced on us, without any sort of valid
legal reason for it, or even chance for discussion on the mailing list.
This is just plain terrible, and an embarassement for Fedora as a whole.
Frankly this gives me doubt about even being involved with this...

What is Paul Frields take on this ?

-denis