Package Maintainers Flags policy

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue May 19 13:16:32 UTC 2009

On 05/19/2009 02:52 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I think it's mildly hypocritical of anyone to demand that we restore
> flags without also restoring the missing bits of fortune files and the
> 'random image' screensavers. The principle is the same -- some stupid
> people choose to be offended, and we're pandering to them because we
> want an easy life.

I use the educational suite GCompris with my 2-year old daughter, which
I really enjoy doing. The configuration menu uses flag countries to let
you select the language of the various games. A French flag for French,
a Portugal flag for portuguese, even a Catalan flag for people from
Barcelona. Now the burden is on the packager to figure out how to patch
the application to work without the images (tough sell to get upstream
help on this).

If you agree to the absurdity of the broad effects caused by the policy
you voted for, you need to resign from FeSCo immediately.

-denis