Package Maintainers Flags policy

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue May 19 13:52:47 UTC 2009

On 05/19/2009 03:30 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Flags mean a lot to a lot of people. They carry a lot of patriotic crap
> w/them.

Seth, I think we all agree to that. There is a list of <flag,context>
pairs that causes problems :-). To be more accurate, there is a
well-known very short list of <flag,context> pairs that Fedora cannot
ship with legally. The point is: the policy is way overreaching. This
would be better dealt with on a case-by-case basis, only when we know
for a *fact* we cannot ship Fedora with a specific flag. A flag that has
no legal issues but may offend someone is not a good enough reason, it
becomes an upstream project issue rather than a Fedora issue.

-denis