Package Maintainers Flags policy

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue May 19 16:10:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 16:55 +0100, Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
> We really do need to decide whether the response to a package that can't
> feasably have it's flags removed is to drop the package, or live with
> the flags. If we go for the latter then we're not actually solved the
> problem of distributing Fedora in places like China, and I'm not sure
> that the former is an attractive trade-off for what seems a fairly
> marginal benefit.

We really do need to decide whether the response to a package that can't
feasibly have its patented algorithms removed is to drop the package, or
live with the patents.

If we go for the latter then we've not actually solved the problem of
distributing Fedora in places like the US.

The former _is_ a simple enough trade-off. We have a "Fedora Free World"
repository already...

Seriously, folks -- we're only doing for flags the _same_ thing we've
done for a bunch of other things that would make it problematic to ship
Fedora in certain places.

Just because it isn't an issue where _you_ live, that doesn't mean we
shouldn't care about it. I wish people would stop being so parochial.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation