In which country should Fedora be legal?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue May 19 19:58:38 UTC 2009

Hello,

I think that the flag policy is the wrong way to look at a real issue.
First, it tries to solve 2 issues
1. being legal in some countries
2. avoid pissing people

I think that the second issue should be brought upstream and not solved
at the Fedora level.

As for the first, I think that it should be looked more broadly than
on the flags issue. I think that instead of focussing on one issue that
can be deemed illegal in some countries, the focus should be on countries
that fedora should be legal in. Then there should be a legal counselling
(like whath legal does for the US) such that all the relevant laws are
taken care of.

I think that coming with a list of countries we want to have fedora be
legal in, and find people knowing enough the country law to setup the
guidelines should be a mission for the board.

As a side note, it is not neutral at all to remove all the flags from
fedora, it favors countries where flags can be illegal. No problem
not being neutral, but what country laws Fedor should abide to should,
in my opinion be explicit.

I think that the US is mandatory, because RedHat and Fedora are US
entities, but the remaining is open.

The flags issue seems to implicitly put China in the set, but I think
that it would be better to have a Board decision here.

--
Pat