Re: Package Maintainers Flags policy

On 05/19/2009 01:37 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Ewan Mac Mahon (ewan macmahon me uk) said:
This sort of decision is always going to be a balance; on the one hand
there are clearly real costs to Fedora in having a blanket ban on flags,
and on the other we have (according to spot[1]) "no specific legal issue
at this time".

They specifically stated that it may/will prevent Fedora from being
available or acceptable in some countries. That's not insignificant.

The current proposal doesn't fix this.

Flags are not banned by the current policy.  Fedora can carry them:

1) in a separate flags subpackage as long as the main package does not require it.
2) if the flag is "technically or substantively essential to the package".

-Toshio