Re: In which country should Fedora be legal?

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> wrote:
Patrice Dumas (pertusus free fr) said:
> I think that the flag policy is the wrong way to look at a real issue.
> First, it tries to solve 2 issues
> 1. being legal in some countries
> 2. avoid pissing people
>
> I think that the second issue should be brought upstream and not solved
> at the Fedora level.

Too late. We already remove content from various packages where necessary,
as stated earlier in the thread.

True, but a touch disingenuous: as a project of a US company, we remove content where it is illegal for a company registered under the laws of the State of North Carolina or the United States to distribute (e.g. patent-violating *cough*mp3*cough* code, or, until recently, strong encryption).  The "flags policy" is totally different; that is, it requires the removal of content that may or may not be illegal to distribute under the laws of some other jurisdiction somewhere in the world.  Any jurisdiction.  Anywhere.

                             -Chris

--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia