Package Maintainers Flags policy

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed May 20 14:05:38 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) said:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > (really, this will affect only a small number of packagers, anyway.)
>
> I think you (and others) are significantly underestimating the number of
> affected packages. The previous unwritten policy (from RHL times) not to
> ship any flags wasn't enforced for community-maintained packages, several
> packages include flags and some (e.g. freeciv) need them for proper
> operation.

All you've mentioned are the same packages I already know about:

- kdebase (or some similar package in KDE)
- gcompris
- freeciv

If there's really a lot of packages, I'd like actual data as to what they
are; vague descriptions of 'several' doesn't really help frame the
discussion of the amount of work.

Bill