Package Maintainers Flags policy

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed May 20 14:59:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 19:30:07 -0700,
  Christopher Stone <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would argue that it depends on the law.  I would also argue that
> banning something like a flag means that you fear what that flag
> represents.  The Chinese have to censor a lot of information because
> they fear it.  The Communist party fears losing its power, that is why
> they censor and ban certain information.

It's not like noncommunist countries don't have the same issue. In the US
the Democrat and Republican parties conspire to make it difficult for any third
parties to take hold (which would displace one of the two of them if they
did). The currently in power party in an area will often try to affect changes
to how voting is done in order to help that party. I suspect that the ruling
groups trying to enact policies that keeps them as ruling groups is something
that happens almost everywhere.