Package Maintainers Flags policy

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed May 20 17:26:59 UTC 2009

Suren Karapetyan wrote:
> That's true if someone is trying to find a language from the full list.
> But if someone (e.g. me) has already chosen 3 he will be using (e.g.
> English, Armenian, Russian) it will be much more comfortable for him to
> see a flag and not a greyish box with greyish white letters (us, am, ru)
> in it.

Those are keyboard layouts, not input methods, and there are indeed no
standard icons for those, which is why those flags are used. Of course,
flags are a bad match for them, as are language names (!). For example, the
Swiss German-language keyboard is vastly different from the German and
Austrian German-language keyboard. And Swiss keyboards for French and
Italian are different from those for German. Whereas Germany and Austria
use both the same language and the same keyboard, so a German flag is kinda
annoying for users in Austria (the language name is slightly more correct,
but see Switzerland…). It really looks like there's no good solution for
this mess.

        Kevin Kofler