Package Maintainers Flags policy

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed May 20 18:17:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 07:24:44PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Elections are taking place soon. Feel free to run.
> Pardom? In a democracy, the natural consequence of people feeling
> dissatisfied with the ruling party, is to vote against them or to
> abstain from voting, when feeling "there is no voteable candidate" or
> when feeling "voting is useless".

You are free to vote against candidates.  Or not vote for them.  Or even not
vote.

But a more effective manner of being able to influence things is to actually
run for office.  This is significantly more of an option in Fedora than it is
in true government elections, because the campaign doesn't cost millions of
dollars.  All it costs is the candidate's time.  They may win, they may not.
But at least they cared enough to try.

Expecting things to change without having actual candidates pushing for that
change is a bit absurd.  I'm not sure what anyone would expect to actually
accomplish by not voting and then just criticizing the elected body they didn't
vote for.  To truly be part of a community, one needs to participate it the
actual workings of that community.

josh