Re: Package Maintainers Flags policy

Patrice Dumas wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 09:57:17AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> One of our Fedora goals (stated very clearly, see Overview on the wiki)
>> is to be usable and redistributable *by ALL*. Now, we don't always
>> succeed here; take, for example, countries where we're unable to
>> distribute to because of US restrictions (such as Iran, Cuba, etc.)
>
> What does that exactly mean? Are the Fedora mirrors unreachable from
> those countries?

No. At least people from Iran have no trouble getting Fedora at all AFAICT,
and there's hardly any enforcement of export control. They were banned from
using the official FreeMedia project, but online downloads are pretty much
impossible to police, most if not all mirrors are wide open to Iran.

        Kevin Kofler