Youth Protection: Was Re: Package Maintainers Flags policy

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Thu May 21 04:58:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>
>> On 05/20/2009 01:24 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I am sure, FESCO will now will initiate the necessary measures to
>>> initiate the "youth protection" certification processes, whose absence
>>> so far legally threads Fedora vendors/distributors from different
>>> countries around the globe?
>>>

>> We actually have this pretty well covered wrt to US laws. :)
>>

> We are talking about the "national laws" threating
> users/vendors/re-distributors in a particular country.
>
> Wrt. "youth protection", US laws are widely irrelevant. It's similar to US
> "alcohol/tobacco/drug laws", "weapon laws", "medication laws", "car part
> regulations". At least in my country (Germany), they are widely irrelevant.
>
> Relevant wrt. "youth protection" on SW in Germany are computer games. Very
> oversimplified, in general, it's illegal in Germany to make
> "non-USK-certified/rated" computer games available to people below certain
> age, rsp. in some cases, to distribute them at all.

Fedora, as a project of a US corporation, is liable for violation of the
laws of the State of North Carolina and of the United States.  We're not
liable for violation of the laws of any other jurisdiction...  Whether it's
over "protect teh [sic] children!", maps that have Israel on them, or flags.

Do we really want to start excluding content just because it's illegal in
some other jurisdiction?  This seems.... slippery.

                              -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia