Re: [RFC] Increase default ulimit nofile

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:49 AM, Jon Masters <jonathan jonmasters org> wrote:

> Now. This might be great for a honking great shared UNIX server from the
> days of yore, but it's not remotely appropriate for a modern desktop.
> Especially not one layered with so many per-user daemons and layers of
> abstraction as we have on modern Linux systems.

Well, one of the design points of DBus is that you only have a total
of one file descriptor for normal processes to do most IPC to others,
routed via the message bus; as opposed to say ORBit where it scales as
O(N).  So adding more daemons and components shouldn't normally equate
to more file descriptors.

In other words agree with Lennart that it likely makes more sense to
find this specific bug rather than globally increase the limit, in the
absence of other examples at least.