Re: [RFC] Increase default ulimit nofile

Once upon a time, Jon Masters <jcm redhat com> said:
> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 15:14 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I am pretty sure this is an fd leak somewhere in totem.
>
> Not sure yet - it's possible. However, let's bear in mind regardless of
> this that 1024 is /way/ the heck too low when we allow a user to spawn
> 1024 /processes/. And they only get one file each?!!! We should have,
> for example, 8 x tasks, which is where 8192 came from.

That is a per-process limit, not per-user.

Also, if something is leaking up to 1024, and you raise the limit, who's
to say it won't leak right up to 8192 next?

For the vast majority of programs, 1024 is way more than they'd ever
need (or be able to manage properly).  The few that can really use more
typically daemons that are started by root and know how to raise the
limit themselves.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>