Package Maintainers Flags policy

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Thu May 21 15:52:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 02:17:49PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 13:59 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > That's easier for releng but just as hard for the packager.
>
> Yes, it is unfortunate that our package set got to the point where flags
> existed in some of the packages, and that the unwritten rule from RHL
> and Fedora Core didn't make it forward into Fedora, the no flags rule.

I've just been having a look back at the FreeCiv versions from RHL and
Fedora core. It's not an exhaustive survey, but at least RHL 5.2, 6.2,
7.3, 8 and 9, and Fedora Cores 1, 2 and 3 contained FreeCiv packages,
complete with various flags.

As of FC4 the package seems to disappear from Core, probably in favour
of the one in Extras, and the earlier versions of RHL seem to have bits
missing from the copies on archive.download.redhat.com, so it's hard to
tell whether they included FreeCiv or not.

I think it's safe to say that if this unwritten rule ever existed, it
certainly wasn't enforced.

Ewan