Package Maintainers Flags policy

Ding-Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Fri May 22 01:52:32 UTC 2009

於 四,2009-05-21 於 07:23 +0200,Kevin Kofler 提到:
> Ding-Yi Chen wrote:
> > Using input method icons, however, solves your case and mine.
>
> What icons? There may be standard icons for Chinese input methods, but there
> are no standard icons for keyboard layouts. The language code is nonsense,
> as e.g. English and German have different keyboards depending on the
> country.

There are no such "standard Chinese IM icons", IM developers can use
whatever icons they like to distinguish their input methods.

key layout icons can do the similar way, icons can be either designed by
the key-layout switch developers or community. This also solve the
problem related to US-qwerty and US-dvorak.

> > And how about multilingual countries such as India and Switzerland?
>
> For Switzerland, the different layouts are implemented as variants of the ch
> layout, so putting the ch layout up with a Swiss flag and then letting you
> pick the variant (which is what KDE does) is the best way to handle it. If
> you disagree with them being handled as variants, complain to the xkb
> folks, they're setting it up that way.
>
> India is a much more complex case though.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Actually the ibus do the similar way:
You can enable the IMs by their languages, but without showing flags.

But I quite doubt the KDE's country oriented scheme is better.
For example, English and Australian might be somewhat disappointed that
their flags are not in the list, while language oriented scheme does not
have such problems.

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer