FESCo election nominations now open

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 20:27:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Andreas Thienemann <andreas at bawue.net> wrote:
> Fedora has always been (more or less) a meritocracy. Whoever does the
> work, has the power to define the direction fedora is taking.

This I believe is the hardest nut to crack with Fedora elections. The
Fedora Board and FESCo and others think of themselves as being part of
a meritocracy (at least that is my perception of what they think) but
at the same time are trying to encourage more widespread democratic
participation which naturally runs counter to perpetuating the
meritocracy.

Candidates actions historically speak volumes about them in Fedora
elections as the few doing the electing know them. With wide open
elections where voters do not know the candidates all sorts of new
problems arise and the expectations and demands of naive voters seem
to be a silly burden to the candidates. The same people are getting
elected either way because the same people thus far self-nominate and
voter participation remains low.

I'm not sure what the perceived benefit was of making the election
process more open, other than more open seems a good thing to us
instinctively.

John