List of packages including country flags

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat May 23 02:34:58 UTC 2009

OK, let's all collect the list.

These have already come up:
- kdebase-runtime (currently in a -flags subpackage, used at least 1. by the
keyboard layout switcher to represent a keyboard layout and 2. when
selecting the locale in System Settings to represent a country)
- deluge (currently getting ripped out because that was requested in a bug)
- gcompris
- freeciv
- xfce4-xkb-plugin
- ktorrent (same use as deluge, for geolocation of peers)

Icon themes, containing at least one flag (UN or other) to represent the
locale preferences (and I didn't check if there are other icons containing
flags):
- gnome-icon-theme (UN)
- bluecurve-icon-theme (3 countries, overlayed into a single icon)
- oxygen-icon-theme (UN)
- crystalsvg-icon-theme (2 countries, overlayed into a single icon)

Other KDE packages (yes, KDE ships multiple copies of flags, in slightly
different formats (PNG vs. SVG, sizes)):
- kdeedu (kgeography, that's the "geography learning app" I alluded to, the
flags are part of the information about countries it shows)
- kdeedu-marble (flags are shown in the properties for a place)
- kdegames (ksirk) (similar to FreeCiv in principle: the flags are used to
represent players, who choose a given nation; note that this game is
extra "fun" for the "politically correct" folks because it contains a map
of Earth with territories not quite matching actual country borders, see
the screenshot at
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=21450&file1=21450-1.png&file2=21450-2.png&file3=&name=KsirK
to get an idea)
- kde-plasma-translatoid (currently getting ripped out because the flags
were noticed and frowned upon during review, uses flags for languages)

That's 14 packages, and I'm sure there are more (if you know of any others,
feel free to reply).

        Kevin Kofler