Long term Flags handling suggestion

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Sat May 23 09:28:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:35, Martin Sourada wrote:
> I don't want to start another flame, but I thought that the proper way
> to handle flags - if we want to make them optional and not to ban them
> completely - would be to provide them via icon themes. They are
> mentioned in the icon-naming-specs [1].
>
> Why long term solution? Because there are zillion country and other
> flags in the world and no icon theme I know of includes more than 3
> flags...
>
> The basic idea behind this is that flag is an icon as well and as such
> should follow user selected icon theme's style. There's no point it 10
> applications shipping their own sets of flags which each look different.
> Plus, having an icon theme -flags subpackages which would each Provide:
> icons-flags would make the installation for end user easier.

Also, if you go to upstream and say « flags are bad, I must remove
them in Fedora, you should remove them too », they might not be very
pleased.

However, it could be far easier to ask them to stop bundling the flags
and instead use them in an icon theme.

So packagers would not have to patch upstream. Upstream would still
have their flags. We could more easily make them optional.

Sounds like a great idea to me :)

Regards,