unowned files and directories

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue May 26 15:14:42 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> (¹) the list also leads to question like "why are there /.dbus and
> /.pulse?"

My guess is some code in the installation process running as root with
$HOME set to "/" is trying to connect to the DBus session bus.  For
compatibility with some unfortunate scenarios libdbus will attempt to
auto-launch a bus using dbus-launch which will then create ~/.dbus.

I assume pulse is similar (ideally pulse uses dbus, then we only have
this bug once, but that's another discussion).  Something trying to
talk to the session bus sound familiar to anyone working on the
installer?  If we can set $HOME to /root that would sidestep most of
the issues, alternatively in libdbus we could avoid autolaunching for
root, since it should never be needed.