Re: Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 13:15 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Can we please not remove the Group tag, it is actually quite usefull.
> What we need to remove / loose is comps. Having all this info in a
> centralized database is stupid. The spec files should tell which
> group(s) the package belongs in. So that when one adds a new package,
> this gets done right more or less automatically (and is part of the
> review).

Defining groups in the package is broken because different consumers of
of the packages may wish to group those packages in different ways.
When you define it in the package, you have to rebuild the package just
to change how they're grouped.  That's one of the big reasons why
grouping should be done outside of the packages.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)