dependency errors while upgrading vom F10 to Rawhide (F11)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 26 20:17:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 21:17 +0200, Uwe Kiewel wrote:

> > We don't consider issues which would cause upgrading from release to
> > release via yum to be blockers, but issues which would cause upgrading
> > via preupgrade to fail usually would be.
>
> So, I have to google about preupgrade. It's the first time I hear about.
> I did the upgrade via yum since F5 successfuly...

Sure. As I said, practically speaking, it's likely to work in many
cases. It's just that if you talk to the people most involved in
implementing it (Seth) and testing it (Will) they will tell you that
doing live upgrades via yum can't really ever be 100% safe for various
reasons, but preupgrade can get very close and is useful in all the same
cases. So their position is, we support preupgrade, we don't support
yum. If yum works, great, if it doesn't, you can bug people to fix
whatever it stopping it working, but it's not 'required' by any policy
or guideline.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey