Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed May 27 07:25:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 07:10:42AM +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> soft-deps (Suggests/Recommends) is really hard to handle at the
> depsolver level. A depsolver need to now the hard ones, not stuff like
> 'it would look very nice to have pink bracelet to my little pony'. It is
> hard to make good decisions based on that, a asking the user every time
> is not a good solution IMO. You will need to take a popquiz every time
> you what to install a package.
> I can see that the information can be useful at a high level gui or in
> some kind of appstore. People there have bought 'foo' have also bought
> 'bar'. But at the lowlevel like rpm/yum is not very useful, because we
> don't have the needed infomation to make a good decision.

There's no real difficulty here.  The depsolver ignores 'suggests' for
resolving dependencies.  The UI needs to change to allow these to be
selected, or in the case of command line tools like yum, to print them
out at the end.  "You may also be interested in packages A, B and C".

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top