Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu May 28 14:54:38 UTC 2009

On 05/27/2009 01:24 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 15:07 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
>
>> I can't wait to see how we depsolve through:
>>
>> yum update:
>>
>> - foo is updated and recommends bar
>> - bar conflicts with baz which is also in the update
>>

>> but I'm sure we'll muddle through - provided this is included in upstream
>> rpm.
>
> seems obvious to me that, in that case, bar should simply not be
> installed (possibly yum could print a note of what happened).

That may be obvious but I think it makes a lot more work.  Instead of
simply having a possible dependency where the suggestion is either used
or not depending on a config file option, you have a dependency that
must be kept separate from the normal dependencies so that you know you
can get rid of it (and it's dependencies) if a conflict arises.

-Toshio