Re: Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

On 05/27/2009 01:24 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 15:07 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

I can't wait to see how we depsolve through:

yum update:

- foo is updated and recommends bar
- bar conflicts with baz which is also in the update

but I'm sure we'll muddle through - provided this is included in upstream
rpm.

seems obvious to me that, in that case, bar should simply not be
installed (possibly yum could print a note of what happened).

That may be obvious but I think it makes a lot more work. Instead of simply having a possible dependency where the suggestion is either used or not depending on a config file option, you have a dependency that must be kept separate from the normal dependencies so that you know you can get rid of it (and it's dependencies) if a conflict arises.

-Toshio