gnaughty is a hot babe

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri May 29 12:50:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 10:20 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 11:05:01AM +0300, Muayyad AlSadi wrote:
> > in case you have accepted to put such packages in the repo
> >
> > please maintain a wiki page listing all of them so that we can add
> > exclude for all of them in
> > fedora .repo files
> >
> > sorry, but our users trust us [in ojuba.org spin] to provide packages
> > that respect our family values and moralities
>
> IMHO it is not Fedora's job to  define family values & moralities.
> Such morals/values will vary all around the world, such that no
> single list Fedora makes would be satisfactory. If a derived spin
> wants to define a set of morals & values then the burden should be
> on them to maintain the list of packages that don't comply, not
> Fedora.

Let's also add the morality is the prime excuse for censorship in many
countries. I can't count the amount of clearly censor-grade legislation
has passed recently in just the western hemisphere with just the
*excuse* of "defending children"* where in some cases stuff related to
children was not even named in the text of the law, or if it were it was
clearly preposterous and only there to justify the whole set of rules.
Let alone countless other moral or religious precepts.

That said, if there are clearly identifiable class of programs that may
be deemed offensive by a large set of people (and *not* governments),
then it would be sensible to mark them so that people can consciously
and *individually* decide to (not) install/remove them or use spins that
explicitly exclude/include them.

Simo.

* Of course I am all for defending children, but totally against using a
highly sensible topic to shove in legislation that has nothing to do
with protection them and all to do with censorship and control.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York