gnaughty is a hot babe

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 29 16:30:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 11:15 +0100, Frank Murphy (Frankly3d) wrote:

> But I think morality it is delving away from fedora,
> unless it is global socially objectionable,
> maybe Child-Porn.

I see this is this week's merry train-wreck of a discussion, but I can't
resist pointing out that even that isn't as clear-cut as you'd expect:
in Japan you can perfectly easily buy manga depicting extremely young
children having sex and just be thought of as a bit weird. (But just
like in the grown-up versions, the actual...appendages have to be very
minimally censored...*unlike* in most countries). Such things would
technically be legal in probably most western countries, but very
heavily frowned upon to say the least, and as a matter of practice, I
don't think you can really buy them elsewhere.

To derive a more useful principle: there's almost no universal agreement
on any issue of what's 'culturally', 'morally', 'ethically' or whatever
acceptable, so it's effectively impossible for Fedora as a project to
create an 'Objectionable Content' label and apply it in a way that's
useful. If you are producing a spin for a group with sufficiently
continguous views on such things, it falls to you and no-one else to
ensure that the materials in your spin are appropriate for your
audience. 'We' - the project as a whole - don't necessarily share or
even fully understand your moral perspective, so you can't rely on us to
do it for you.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey