gnaughty is a hot babe

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri May 29 17:55:23 UTC 2009

> On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 11:15 +0100, Frank Murphy (Frankly3d) wrote:
>
> > But I think morality it is delving away from fedora,
> > unless it is global socially objectionable,
> > maybe Child-Porn.
>
> I see this is this week's merry train-wreck of a discussion, but I can't
> resist pointing out that even that isn't as clear-cut as you'd expect:
> in Japan you can perfectly easily buy manga depicting extremely young
> children having sex and just be thought of as a bit weird. (But just
> like in the grown-up versions, the actual...appendages have to be very
> minimally censored...*unlike* in most countries). Such things would
> technically be legal in probably most western countries, but very
> heavily frowned upon to say the least, and as a matter of practice, I
> don't think you can really buy them elsewhere.

FYI: Here in the US a 30+ year old manga collector is waiting for a
sentence that can put him in jail for up to 15 years because he had a
few of those manga. He didn't concentrate on any specific genre, he had
thousands of manga's of any kind, so it is clear that he is not a
pedophile, yet apparently he's going to be sentenced for something very
akin to a thought-crime.

My 2c just to reinforce the concept that what is acceptable or even
criminal or not is extremely variable nation by nation.

> To derive a more useful principle: there's almost no universal agreement
> on any issue of what's 'culturally', 'morally', 'ethically' or whatever
> acceptable, so it's effectively impossible for Fedora as a project to
> create an 'Objectionable Content' label and apply it in a way that's
> useful. If you are producing a spin for a group with sufficiently
> continguous views on such things, it falls to you and no-one else to
> ensure that the materials in your spin are appropriate for your
> audience. 'We' - the project as a whole - don't necessarily share or
> even fully understand your moral perspective, so you can't rely on us to
> do it for you.

I think this is the main point Muayyad should understand.

Muayyad, if you feel this sort of filtering is necessary then
you simply can't trust others to do it.
Even if they had any interest in doing it because they may simply not
understand your moral boundaries, let alone share them.

Your best bet is to ask for help in your own community and come up with
a method to allow your community members to tag packages, in a wiki
associated to your spin, and then use those tags to build your package
list.

This would make it much easier for you and for the Fedora project.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York