Re: Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 19:07 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Actually we have several things that are not hard requires in
> > scriptlets.  I can't think of any that would be better served by having
> > a Suggests(post) off the top of my head, though.
>
> Indeed, those are different, they're "run this if it's installed, but we
> don't have to do anything if it isn't, because it means it doesn't need to
> run in the first place". It doesn't make sense to Suggests(post) anything
> there.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Conceivably though you can have a scenario where if a suggested package
is present, you'll want to make use of it in the %pre section of the
suggesting package, and fail gracefully if it isn't there.  So Suggests:
isn't enough, you'd need to order it so that if you choose to install
the suggestion, it gets installed prior to the suggesting package, hence
Suggests(post).

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!