Wodim trouble

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 10:58:06 UTC 2009

W dniu 03.11.2009 11:37, Matěj Cepl pisze:
> Dne 3.11.2009 05:22, Ankur Sinha napsal(a):
>> I just wanted to know if wodim is usable (i mean without wasting dvds
>> like its doing currently for me). From the discussion, I feel it's still
>> buggy and therefore I'm going to shift to another program (maybe
>> growisofs).
>
> Yes, wodim is perfect. Joerg is just spreading FUD.
>
> Matěj

Ok, putting the ad personam arguments aside, there are two important facts:
- cdrecord is still under active development, but there might be a
problem with distributability (Sun lawyers say there is not, but I guess
RH would like to make their own legal review to be on the safe side)
- cdrkit is in sort of maintenance mode, and it does not support UDF
filesystem for DVD discs correctly, and the situation is unlikely to improve
- libburn is also developed actively, but it lacks UDF support as well [1]
So, while waiting for libburn to improve, we could either take over
cdrkit development, or do a(nother) legal review of cdrecord. It seems
that the latter should be simpler, given that it's a one-time effort.

Julian

[1] http://libburnia-project.org/ticket/106