Wodim trouble

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 15:07:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Joerg Schilling <
Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
>
> > You have refused to cite specific legal problems with cdrkit, so there
> > are no "known legal problems" that anyone can see.  The proper reporting
> > method is bugzilla.redhat.com; can you point to where you reported them?
>
> It seems that you did never check this as otherwise you did know the
> reports.
>
> Jörg

Just with a quick search in the Red Hat Bugzilla, only though distro section
Fedora, I found this:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=cdrkit&product=Fedora

<https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=cdrkit&product=Fedora>Listed
39 bugs. A quick look shows a disturbing amount of WONTFIX (ignoring
rhbz#472924). But I also see things have still been progressing. However,
what I want to know is what prompted the relicense to CDDL in the first
place? From what I can see, Jörg Schilling, you are the maintainer and
creator of the "original software" cdrtools. Also, why are you so hostile to
cdrkit? The implicitly permits forking via its redistribution clause. If you
wanted to be able to mix with proprietary code and non-Linux systems, the
LGPL would have been just as good.

While it is true that the GPL permits linking to CDDL libraries, that is
only in the case if the library is a "system library," which is a library
that is NECESSARY for working on a particular OS. This is usually how it is
justified that GPL software can be built using Visual Studio on Windows,
even if I personally don't like it. The runtime library in Windows is almost
certainly not GPL compatible, as was the case for many other UNIX
application runtime libraries at the time. That is what they built into the
GPL, not a "free for all" library linking exception.