Re: Ubuntu shows updates / security updates on shell logins

RWMJ> Newly installed Ubuntu 9.10, when you log in over ssh you may see:
RWMJ> 34 packages can be updated. 10 updates are security updates.

What a terrible idea.  My users, who are welcome to ssh into a number of
machines at my site, have no need to see that information.

RWMJ> Actually I was trying to work out how it's implemented.

Get information, append to /etc/motd.  You could parse yum output in a
cron job if you really wanted it.  It would almost certainly be better
to mail that information, though, if the admin really wants it.  I often
go some time without actually having to ssh into many of my server.

 - J<