rpm %verify

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 14:10:12 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have 2 bugzillas asking for %verify to be added to %config files. I am
wondering if this is a good idea at all. The issue is that if you wanted to
verify whether or not config files have changed, then this causes you to lose
that ability. Adding --noscript to the verify command does not make rpm
suddenly report the issues it was hiding. Does this mean that rpm is not
working right? Or does this mean that we cannot use rpm for integrity checking
for any package that has %verify attributes for config files?

Thanks,
-Steve

PS - Anyone wanting to experiment can use the setup package and change the
/etc/hosts file to verify what I am saying.