Fedora 12 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 Benchmarks ?!?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 16:41:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 4:40 AM, ne... <guhvies at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 14:24, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://is.gd/4NU9N
>>
>> Phoronix published Fedora 12 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 Benchmarks
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> Fedora 12 performed on most test better than Ubuntu, nice work guys/
>> galls :)
> Well, I just did a tally of the results on the link you posted and
> Ubuntu, believe
> it or not, bested Fedora by a score of 9 to 5.

Allow me to introduce you to my friend statistical significance.

Unfortunately the Phoronix results don't provide enough information to
determine the confidence intervals, but I wouldn't bet on numbers like
18.32 vs 17.88... at least my own application timings are noisy enough
that it wouldn't be.

Really the results show that both perform similarly, with a couple of
exceptions.  This is as expected.